Friday, August 6, 2010

Last Night's Recipes

Last night, I made a quick and easy dinner of rigatoni with meat sauce. We needed to go to the grocery store, but I didn't want to venture out last night in the stormy weather. So, I boiled some rigatoni pasta and made a tomato sauce with ground beef. I sautéed garlic and sun-dried tomatoes in some olive oil and then added a can of diced tomatoes. I added some Italian spices, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to season. After that had been cooked and simmered thoroughly, I added a can of tomato sauce and a spoonful of tomato paste.

Also, a secret for when you're making tomato sauce, add about a tablespoon of sugar, especially if you're only using canned tomatoes, which usually don't have any sugar added. This will help cut the acidic taste and just a little makes it better. Another good addition is a little bit of juice from a lemon.
I also decided to try out our ice cream maker, again. Last time we tried to make ice cream, I didn't allow the ingredients to chill long enough before adding them to the churn, so they didn't ever freeze. I made a simple vanilla ice cream, using an easy, no cook & no egg recipe from Southern Living. It's really simple and so delish! I topped the ice cream with some toasted, sliced almonds. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips