Thursday, August 4, 2011

Chalkboard Menu

If you've been on Pinterest, chances are you've seen one of the many projects and ideas floating around that use chalkboard paint to convert an ordinary object into something fun.  Well for this project, I made a weekly menu for our kitchen using a mirror and chalkboard paint.  I was inspired by some these pictures:

chalkboard menuDIY chalkboard weekly menu
Chalkboard frame/menu.Chalkboard menu
Cute weekly menuTutorial for a chalkboard menu board.

I bought an inexpensive mirror for this chalkboard.  The frame was originally dark brown (sorry, no before pics) and I painted the it white. I wanted to tie in with our cabinets and contrast against the black chalkboard. Then, I painted the mirror with a few layers of Rustoleum ChalkBoard spray paint. This spray paint is amazing! I tried using other chalkboard paint from the craft store and it was much harder to apply with a brush... it's hard to prevent brush strokes. Using the spray paint was so easy and quick! It really is that easy, tape off your area, add a few layers of spray paint and then allow to dry.  Then you can write on it with chalk! I love the fact that this could be a menu or anything else you want, like a place for a grocery list or just doodling for fun... and you can change it up whenever you feel like it.





I had originally planned to put this menu on the side of the fridge with magnets, but then I decided to hang it on the wall near our kitchen table and I think it works for now. We still have a lot more real decorating to go in the kitchen, but at least this is a step in the right direction! ;) Plus, hopefully this will motivate me to meal plan more consistently! 

6 comments:

  1. Super cute! I have been loving those images on Pinterest too! Thanks for the tips on how to DIY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I have been obsessing over chalkboards! Def gotta get to creating some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I've been wanting to do one for a while now, so maybe I will bite the bullet and just get it done already! Thanks for the recommendation on the spray paint.. I think that sounds so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I am going to Pin this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your website is very beautiful or Articles. I love it thank you for sharing for everyone. Café curtains

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips